29/12/2013

Top 20 Music of 2013

2013 is already coming to its end. Another year already passed by and like every year end it's time to post my top 20 (2012, 2011) ! I think 2013 is the year I listened to music the least compared to other years. My computer died and my ipod too so i wasn't really checking new releases like i used too. Also, i was completely biased with Japanese rock music. Fortunately, i managed to attend many concerts this year and those are my best memories of 2013.
My top 2013 music is pretty much the girl power. Many female artists, a few boys, and a some cool bands ! I regret not listening to much Hip Hop music, I realised while doing this post that i can barely tell any Hip Hop song that i loved this year.

I hope you will enjoy my selection of 2013 ! (There is no particular order in this top 20)


John Legend - "Made To Love"
John Legend is one of my favorite artist. He released his brand new album "Love in The Future" last august and it's a gorgeous album. "Made To Love" is my favorite song from this album and i'm glad the song was chosen as a single. From the same album i also love the gorgeous ballad "All of Me".



Elliphant - "Music is Life"
I discovered the Swedish singer/rapper Elliphant last year with the song "Down on Life". With "Music is Life", Elliphant is bringing us to Jamaica with the reggae artist Ras Fraser Jr., a song that was recorded in both Sweden and Jamaica earlier this year and was released this July as her US debut single. Elliphant will tour in Europe starting january 10th in Paris, with dates in Cologne, Vienna, London, Stockholm, Hamburg and more. I really want to go to her Paris show, but unfortunately will not be able to free myself from work and that makes me really mad !



Capital Cities - "Safe And Sound"
"Safe and Sound" is probably the song I sang the most this year ! The American rock indie duo Capital Cities debuted with this song in february 2011 in the USA but the song started to spread after its release in europe on april 2013. I think I got to know this song thanks to a commercial, can't remember which one, but the song got stuck in my head since then !



Angel Haze - "Echelon (It's My Way)"
I have literally no reasons for liking this song so much, I just love it. I see a blonde Brooke Candy and Dog the Bounty Hunter in the music video and i don't hate it. "Echelon" is the lead single of  the 22 years old rapper upcoming debut album "Dirty Gold" (she actually leaked her own album on december 18 after a dispute with her record label). Bikers, fashion and rap, I'm sold.



Phoenix - "Entertainment"
The french band Phoenix made an awaiting comeback this year with their 5th album "Bankrupt!", "Entertainement" being the lead single released on february. I love that music video inspirated by Korean dramas, showing different stories throughout different historical periods, which make that video also quite confusing.



Janelle Monáe - "Q.U.E.E.N"
OH YES Janelle Monáe keeps being a flawless queen with her 3rd flawless album "Electric Lady". Released in May, "Q.U.E.E.N", featuring Erykah Badu,  is pure jam and i absolutely love the lyrics. Real talent true entertainer. Also to check out, "Prime Time" featuring Miguel.



Disclosure - "White Noise"
I can't stop replaying this song, I could go to a party with this only song playing on repeat all night. Disclosure is a British electronic duo composed of the brothers Guy and Howard Lawrence (1991 & 1994, so young !), after releasing a few EPs and singles since 2010 they finally released their first full album "Settle" this year. "White Noise" is a huge hit a stayed in the UK top 10 for 10 weeks. You should aslo check out "When a Fire starts to burn" and "You & Me"



M.I.A. - "Bring The Noize"
M.I.A. was the shit last year with the song "Bad Girl" and she finally released her 4th album "Matangi" on november 1st of this year. Produced by Switch and Surkin, the lead single "Bring The Noize" was revealed last june. "YALA" is also my shit  !



Plenty - "Player"
Let's calm down a little with the indie rock Japanese duo Plenty. I am a big fan of plenty, they are one of the few bands I listen to when I feel the need to escape myself from life, and go deep in my thoughts. I absolutely love the soft pure and acute voice of the singer, sometimes hard to tell for some who don't know much about the band if it's a boy or a girl. plenty released their magnificent second album "this" last may and is about the release a new EP on january 9th. To also not miss, "Song of Joy".



HAIM - "Falling"
HAIM is a indie pop/rock female trio from Los Angeles. The 3 sisters released their first album "Days are Gone" on september 2013, produced by Ariel Rechtshaid (Charli XCX, Alex Clare, Sky Ferreira...) and James Ford (Arctic Monkeys), their music is described as  folk-rock "with a few R&B/hip-hop stylings thrown in for good measure". The girls, who recently toured with the band Phoenix in europe, are actually hard to categorize, some are considering them as an another hipster throwback rock'n'roll band, but on this matter, their producer commented "They're great musicians so they pull off a captivating rock performance live, but what they're influenced by is so much more diverse than rock'n'roll". It's quite easy to be called hipster nowadays, but anyway, "Falling" is a song that I absolutely adore.



Paramore - Now"
The American rock band leaded by the orange haired singer Hayley Williams released a new album self titled "paramore" on april 9th. "Now" is the lead single released on january, receiving critical acclaim and moderate commercial success. In another mood, "Still Into You" is a song I loved dancing and singing to !



Lorde -  "Team"
Lorde is maybe the most successful and acclaimed newcomer of this year thanks to her huge hit song "Royals". I'll be honest, I am not  fond of the 17 years old singer, the less I read about her and her interviews, the better it is. But i won't lie, her album "Pure Heroine" is probably my favorite album of 2013. This is the kind of alternatif/minimalist pop I enjoy listening. "Pure Heroine" contain many must listen songs like, of course, "Royals", but i choose to put "Team" for this Top 2013 music post because we already can see "Royals" everywhere, and even though I love "Tennis Court" as much as "Team", the music video is way too creepy to make me embed it here. You should definitely also listen to "Buzzcut Season" and "Glory and Gore".



Seiho - "I Feel Rave"
The japanese DJ/electronic musician from Osaka released his album "ABSTRAKTSEX" last june. "I Feel Rave" is my favorite song from his album and it's actually thanks to the release of this song that I've got to know Seiho. Also to check out, "Clipping Music".



Twenty One Pilots - "Car Radio"
Meet my husbands, twenty one pilots. It's crazy how fast I became a fan of this american duo composed of Tyler Joseph (Singer/Piano) and Josh Dun (Drums). This two are weird, awkward, fun and talented boys, hard to not be at the least intrigued by them. They released their first full-lenght album "Vessel" last february under the Fueled By Ramen record (Gym Class Heroes,  Paramore, Fun.). The boys recently toured with Fall Out Boys and Panic at The Disco in the USA and will do an European tour starting January ! I am currently doing everything i can to be able to attend their Paris show on february 15th because i will never forgive myself if i'm not going ! Songs to also check out, "Holding on To You", "Guns for Hands", "House of Gold"



FKA twigs - "Water Me"
What a mesmerizing song and music video. Absolutely stunning. FKA twigs released her second EP on september 9th and the British artist catched everyone's attention with "Water Me". See also, "Papi Pacify" and "How's That".



Arctic Monkeys - "Do I Wanna Know?"
The British indie rock band released their 5th studio album "AM" on september 9th, making the fans go crazy and claimed as one of the best album of this year by many critics. Released in june, "Do I Wanna Know?" immediately gained its place in my *forever in replay* playlist.



Daft Punk - "Lose Yourself to Dance"
How to not talk about Daft Punk, the french robots finally released the very long awaited new album after many teasers that made fans go crazy. "Random Access Memories" is without a doubt in my top 3 favorite albums of 2013. The huge hit "Get Lucky" took the charts by storm and is on repeat in all the radios since its release. "Lose Yourself to Dance" is the following single from this brillant album, and my favorite song from the album. Also to not miss, "Instant Crush".



Two Door Cinema Club - "Changing of the Seasons"
The Northern Irish electropop/rock indie band won my heart and made me dance a lot to their "Changing of The Seasons" hit song. I randomly discovered them while watching the broadcast of a summer japanese festival they performed at this august. But after taking my time to listen more of their music I found out they are the one behind a song i have always loved "What You Know"! You should also take a listen to "Handshake".



- "XXX 88"
Here is my most played and favorite song of 2013, "XXX 88" by the Danish singer MØ, produced by Diplo. Seriously, this song is so fucking good, many thanks to Diplo for striking again and for making me discover MØ. She released an EP named "Bikini Daze" in october, and I really can't wait to hear her debut album "No Mythologies To Follow" set to be out on february 14. Until then, you should also take a look at "Waste of Time", "Never Wanna Know", "Maiden" and "Glass".



Charli XCX - "What I Like"
And let's finish this top with my girl crush and favorite artist of the year, CHARLI XCX. With her major-label debut studio album "True Romance" released on april 12th, the British singer delivered one of the most good and solid pop album of the year in my opinion. The music is good and the girl is flawless, the 21 years old girl is looking fabulous and is one of the artist to absolutely take a look at, i'm pretty sure she's going to grow big and i can't wait to hear her new musics. She recently toured with Paramore and was on tour from june to september across North America, Canada and England. I choose to embed "What I Like" for this post but i suggest you to absolutely listen to "Nuclear Season", "You're The One", "You (Ha Ha Ha)", "Cloud" feat Brook Candy, "Just Desserts" feat Marina and the Diamonds, "End of the World" with Alex Metric. You can also check out her lastest music "Superlove" filmed in Tokyo on the sidebar of my blog !




Tell me your top 2013 !!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...